There are a number of items that should never be flushed down the toilet. Non-flushable items can cause problems for residential and business sewer lines in the District.
You can help by never flushing the following:
- Wipes of any kind. Including the “flushable” ones.
- Paper towels and napkins
- Rags and towels
- Tampons, pads, or any other feminine products
- Cat litter or aquarium gravel
- Syringes and needles
- Rubber items such as latex gloves and condoms
- Dental floss
- Q-Tips, cotton balls, cosmetics, and razors
- Diapers and underwear
- Prescription medications (learn how to properly dispose of medications HERE)
- Cleaning sponges, disposable toilet brushes, and disinfecting wipes
- Gum, cigarette butts, and cigars
- Grease or oil